Wednesday, October 17, 2012

This and That: Bourbon for those who don't like Bourbon

Alright, so I was talking to my friend Heather the other day and the topic of our blogs came up. Unlike me, she's been posting away some seriously easy and delicious homemade recipes over on Nothin Fancy Eats. (I dare you to try one a prove me wrong. Can't be done.) While on the topic of blogs, she let me know that her favorite post of mine was the This and That post I did a few months ago. I had intended to make it a sort of weekly or bi-weekly series. However, let's be honest: I'm lazy. Taking pictures of the steps while you're cooking is so time consuming. It adds on at least three minutes to your cook time. Who has that kind of time to waste nowadays? Apparently you do, Heather. But I digress.

The "This and That" posts were originally intended to be a formula of drink+food+music that would compliment each other. I should have thought it out more though because then I would have realized that I don't cook very often. And when I do, I just want to eat, okay? So many times I would think "I should really take pictures of this" while I was making something. And then every time I would think "But I'm hungry," and go about my business.

SO I'VE CHANGED THE FORMULA!

I'm brilliant. No shame.

You might recall that I want to really beef up my drink-making skillz. And I still plan on doing that. Now that we're getting more settled, I am finally feeling more justified spending money on booze. So NOW, the new formula is just drink+music. So much less stressful!

So for my first installment, since it's been absolutely beautiful (both in color and weather) over here in Colorado, and because I bought about 5 fall-scented candles at Wal-Mart the other day, I find it fitting to start with a drink aptly named "The Fall Classic."

DRINK THIS: The Fall Classic 



(Please excuse the bad photos. Like I said earlier...I'm lazy.)

Let's begin by letting you know that I hate whiskey. Bourbon too. Just the smell makes me queasy (I think we can thank undergrad and Evan Williams for that). Tony, on the other hand, loves whiskeys, bourbons and scotches. His drink of choice is an Old Fashioned (which I will be posting soon). I've tried numerous times to ease myself back into this liquor category, but all to no avail.

But when I saw the recipe for a Bourbon drink that involved apple cider and thyme simple syrup? I mean come on. I had to at least try it! And guess what? IT'S AWESOME.

After I mixed the drink, the smell of bourbon was definitely pungent and I thought "Oh great..." But honestly, though it smells like bourbon, I can't taste it at all! All I taste is fall deliciousness. This is seriously the perfect fall drink because it's not too fruity and not too pungent - perfect for all tastes. (Plus I think putting it in a tumbler instead of a martini glass makes it much more appealing to the gentlemen. Tony loves it too).

HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

Ingredients
(Makes 2 drinks)

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup of sugar
15 sprigs thyme (a sprig is just 1 stem)
4 tablespoons of apple brandy
4 tablespoons bourbon
4 tablespoons apple cider
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 dashes orange bitters
1 apple slice or thyme sprig for garnish (optional)


Instructions

Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, constantly stirring to dissolve sugar.


Remove from heat and add the thyme. Let completely cool. Leftover syrup can be kept for up to a month in the fridge.



Add 2 tablespoons of the syrup, ice and the rest of the ingredients (minus garnish) to a cocktail shaker and shake at least 20 times (1 shake=up and down - learned this tip recently). Pour into a tumbler, add garnish and turn up your speakers...





LISTEN TO THAT: Ghost Towns by Radical Face

While you're enjoying your cocktail - preferably cozied up in a blanket next to a crackling fire (or Wal-Mart scented candle) - listen to "Ghost Towns" by Radical Face. Most of you probably know Radical Face for the single "Welcome Home" from his album, "Ghost." While I do love that song, I still much prefer his debut album "The Family Tree: The Roots," which is what "Ghost Towns" if off. This song puts me in the mood for fall all year round. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment