Thursday, September 27, 2012

New Music

I am ashamed to admit it, but I will: I haven't been into music for a long time.

Let me explain.

I grew up with music. I played classical piano for 11 years and percussion for 15. I was always in symphonies, bands and orchestras. I played music almost everyday. And in addition, I was extremely serious about listening to music - finding new bands, new styles, new composers.

And then real life happened.

I got so busy with school and the K-State newspaper that I stopped playing music. Then I got so busy with finding jobs, paying bills and working that I stopped searching for new music. And then I got so sick of the music I already had that I stopped listening to music. Now, I don't mean entirely. I still listened to the radio, went to a show here or there and played some tired tracks on my iTunes. I would try to listen to new albums by new artists or by old favorites, but I really never had the patience to get into anything. I haven't really felt passionate about music in a long time. I chalked it up to not finding anything truly new. If I think about the progression of my musical taste, it boils down to always finding a band, artist or combo that introduced a totally new sound to me. After a while, I felt like I'd heard it all.

Well, I've had enough time to get over that crap logic. It's time to start getting into it again. Plus, I think it also helps that I now have Spotify Premium.

What follows are a few artists that I've really loved lately that I want to share with you. No, they're not totally new sounds to me, but they're good. And that's all that matters anyway, right?

Frank Ocean - Thinking About You (Album: Channel Orange)
--I've been really listening to a lot of Frank Ocean lately. So much so, in fact, that you're going to get another taste of his music later! Pick up this album. I think it takes some getting used to, but after a few listens you won't be able to get some of these songs out of your head. (PS This music video is kinda weird...I suggest listening to the song without watching...)


Lianne La Havas - Is Your Love Big Enough (Album: Is Your Love Big Enough)
--I'm actually not really a big fan of this album. I think most of the songs are too repetitive and they get annoying after a while - how many times do we have to hear the chorus/hook in one song?? But I do love this song...a lot.



Mumford and Sons - I Will Wait (Album: Babel)
--I just cannot get enough of this band's harmonies. That's it. 



Frank Ocean - Super Rich Kids (Album: Channel Orange)
--I love this song because 1) the beats are awesome and 2) the subject matter is one you don't hear about too often, and that makes it interesting for me.


Hope you found at least one new jam for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment